Using on-line storage services for backing up your TM2 database can make you vulnerable to data corruptions and leave you open to data theft. As a result, you may not be compliant with the data protection act.
We strongly advise that you do not use an on-line storage service such as Dropbox or Google Drive to back-up your TM2 data due to the following reasons:
- The Data Protection Act requires that personal data "shall not be transferred to any country outside the EU". It is important that you ensure your cloud back-up provider does not host their servers outside of the EU so that you remain compliant with the Data Protection Act. Many of the larger cloud back-up providers do host their servers elsewhere.
- Cloud back-up services are often designed to back-up media data such as music, videos and documents which are usually read only. By backing up data which is constantly updated, you run the risk of missing vital pieces of information and thus causing a database corruption.
- In the past few years, potential weaknesses have been highlighted with on-line storage services which leave users open to theft, and even intrusions into their privacy. It is essential that you check the Terms of Service for any potential provider to ensure there are no risks with them housing your data.
To ensure that you are backing up your data correctly and securely, we advise the following:
- If you choose to back up using an external hard-drive and/or memory stick, make sure it can be stored separately from your TM2 database
- External hard-drives must be designed to hold data which is regularly updated and have full Windows Permissions. Drives such as Network-attached Storage devices can be used provided the hardware is suitable and they are monitored by a professional.
- The alternative solution is to look at having your data hosted by TM2. By using our TM2 Hosted service, your data will be backed up safely to our secure servers at a data centre within the UK.
- If you would like more information on the TM2 Hosted service contact Sales on 02890 998697